This is from an off-list email between Oleg and I:

>From Oleg to me:
Hello Hal,

Default format strings can be written as -

org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.format.int=######
org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.format.float=######,####
org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.format.timestamp=hh 'o''clock' a, zzzz
org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.format.date=EEE, MMM d, ''yy
org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.format.time=h:mm a

values for resource file entries are standart Java format strings for
date, time and number values.

>From me to Oleg:
That makes more sense. For some reason the bean:write documentation didn't
make that clear to me. I think the doc should definately contain those
examples.

Couldn't you make the behaviour so that if the format task isn't used, and
the key is not found in the resource file, no formating will take place?
That would acheive backwards compatability. If someone wants automatic
formating without using the format attribute of the bean:write tag then they
just have to add the entries to the resource file.

I often used bean:write to print out things that aren't meant to be seen
such as when I print out a number for the body of a multi-box tag. That will
break something if the default is to format the number with commas or
periods depending on your locale.