On Sun, 9 Dec 2001, Peter Heller wrote:

> Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 20:36:34 -0500
> From: Peter Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Struts & Filters (Servlets 2.3)
>
> Will there be a subclass created in struts such as actionFilter ?

See the previous mail for discussion of this.

> Will the Struts filter be part of web.xml or struts-config.xml?

Guess I should answer this question as well.

You would certainly need to configure ActionFilter in web.xml, in the same
way that you configure ActionServlet there now.  However, the unique
Struts features that are configured in struts-config.xml don't really have
a place in web.xml right now, so I would assume we'd continue to configure
all of that stuff from struts-config.xml even if the controller was based
on a Filter instead of a Servlet.

You will be interested in the fact that one of the things we are looking
at for Servlet 2.4 (the *next* version of the Servlet API that is being
created under JSR 154) will be considering approaches to making the
web.xml deployment descriptor extensible for things like Struts, or any
other "extension" based on the servlet component model, directly in the
web.xml file.