I have a web app and ejb jar files combined in an ear file. If I want to use
struts in the war file and the digester in some of the ejbs, I have a
problem because the war classloader is a child of the ejb classloader (at
least in Weblogic 6.1) which means classes loaded by the ejb class loader
can't see the webapp's classes including the classes in struts.jar.

If I put the commons-digester.jar in the ejb classpath (via the Manifest.mf
Classpath:) then when the struts-config.xml is parsed the digester won't be
able to find struts classes. If I leave commons-digester.jar in the webapp
lib directory then the ejbs that want to use it can't see the digester
classes.

Am I missing something? Is there any way that the Digester could be told
which class loader to use when it instantiates objects that it's looking
for? Maybe then the ActionServlet could tell the Digester to use the
ActionServlet classloader which should allow the Digester to find all the
classes in the webapp? Then I could include common-digester.jar in both the
ejb classpath and the webapp classpath.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks, Hal