On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Martin Cooper wrote:

> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:13:26 -0800
> From: Martin Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Proposed Migration to DBCP Based Connection Pool
>
> +1
>
> That's cool. In my "day job", we've been going round and round on whether to
> go with PoolMan or DBCP. I'm -0 on PoolMan mostly because the author seems
> to want to dump it, but other folks are -0 on DBCP because it's not yet
> released.
>
> Presumably, we can help push for a Pool release and then a DBCP release, and
> have all our ducks in a row for Struts 1.1. Not sure if I can help with
> that, but I'll take a look.

As soon as the BasicDataSource class that I checked in to DBCP is tested
some, I'm going to push for a 1.0 release.  The underlying code in DBCP
and POOL seems very solid.  And I "stole" the BasicDataSource and
BasicDataSourceFactory code from Tomcat, where it's received at least a
little testing (we're most likely going to switch from Tyrex to DBCP as
well).

> Any thoughts on how the new kid on the (Commons) block - jdbc2pool - might
> fit in to the scheme of things?

At the moment, it implements javax.sql.ConnectionPoolDataSource instead of
javax.sql.DataSource (which is what all J2EE servers provide).  I've asked
why they went that direction, but haven't seen a reply yet.

> --
> Martin Cooper

Craig