On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Ted Husted wrote:

> Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:40:28 -0500
> From: Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Validator/Tiles integration in Struts
>
> We went back and forth about this in regards to the Velocity/Struts
> integration package for a while. Finally, we put support for the
> ContextHelper in Struts 1.1 (which might also work with the JSTL) and
> the adapter for 1.0 in a new Velocity Tools package. The ContextHelper
> gave Gabriel and Geir what they needed to know to write the 1.0 adapter,
> and leaves most of the Velocity code with the Velocity team.
>
> Since Struts has so many Commons dependencies now, one more isn't going
> to make any difference :)

And we're going to be dependent on the underlying Commons package anyway,
in order to use the functionality :-).

> The next question might be what about Tiles integration in Struts?
> Cedric's Definitions are really quite neat, are coupled (to an extent)
> with the ActionForwards, and has hooks to the ActionServlet. It also
> uses an XML configuration file. Leaving it seperate seems fine, but then
> again, if we have everything else in struts-config ...

Tiles is next on my list to look at.

A meta-question, though ... would you guys be interested in capping the
1.1 release after we deal with validator/services/tiles?  If we agreed for
that, we oculd probably get a 1.1 release out in time for JavaOne 2002
(end of March this year).

> A very cool new feature, that I'm just getting into today, is the
> ability for each Tile to call an Action as it is included, which makes
> writing portlets very simple. As soon as get through it, I'm going to
> take a look at it from the perspective of the new sub-application
> (application module?) support.
>
> -Ted.

Craig