How about the mechanism that comes with JDK 1.4?...

They've added an XML marshalling system to provide an alternative to
serializing objects. You can just pump a bean through the XMLEncoder and
you'll end up with an XML document. Get the same document and run it
through the XMLDecoder and viola, you're back ad your java object!

Quite tidy.

Arron.