    Craig> My advice to Struts users is as follows:

    Craig> * If you're running on a Servlet 2.2 / JSP 1.1 container, you
    Craig>   will not be able to use JSTL (it requires Servlet 2.3 / JSP 1.2).
    Craig>   Go ahead and continue using the Struts tag libraries.

    Craig> * If you're running on a Servlet 2.3 / JSP 1.2 container, you
    Craig>   should begin experimenting with JSTL.  There is no problem in
    Craig>   using both JSTL and Struts tags in the same page (although,
    Craig>   obviously, the expression syntax is different).

    Craig> * Over time, I plan to add a few features to the Struts tags to
    Craig>   ease migration to JSTL for the "bean" and "logic" libraries --
    Craig>   for example, I want to support the same expression language, and
    Craig>   attribute names where that is possible.

    Craig> * Longer term, I suggest that page developers plan on using the JSTL
    Craig>   tags in their applications, as quickly as it is feasible for you
    Craig>   to do so.  But we're not going to throw away the existing Struts
    Craig>   tags any time soon, so they will continue to be available.

    Craig> (One other note -- the expression language itself will become part of JSP
    Craig> 1.3, so you'll be able to use it in template text as well as in custom tag
    Craig> attribute values.)

It would seem reasonable to consider doing what the JSTL implementors did,
which is creating two sets of tag libraries, one using the EL, and one using
scriptlets.  As it's logical to assume that the default for the JSTL is the EL,
and not RT, for each TLD, they created a "-rt" version and a non-rt version,
which assumes the EL.  In the case of Struts, you would probably want the
"default" to be the RT library, and for the "-el" library to be optional.  By
making both of these available at the same time, it allows people to fully
experiment with both alternatives.  This would only be worthwhile during the
transition.  Later releases wouldn't need this.