On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Nicolas De Loof wrote:

> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:29:25 +0200
> From: Nicolas De Loof <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Struts Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: ActionServlet re-populates form upon Actoin => Action call
>
> I agree with Terrence about the poor way you can couple Actions.
>
> It would be interesting to chain two Actions, basing chaining on the
> "ActionForward" the first one returns, and assuming that request the
> FormBean is populated only once.
>
> I understand it is a different behaviour of current "forward" mecanism that
> allow to forward to any URL.
>
> I would like to be able to define a forward that would be typed to "chain",
> so that the associated action would be called without request parsing. So we
> could reuse elementary actions working on request or session datas, and
> declare request-handling actions for application URLs, using a declarative
> way to define actions chaining.
>
> Perhaps it is what the workflow extension is assuming ?

In my own world view, actions are designed to be called by HTTP requests,
not by other actions.

Adding some sort of action chaining mechanism would address this concern.
However, IMHO, a better design is to refactor the logic you are trying to
share into separate classes that can be directly invoked from the first
action (after doing its own thing) and from the second action.

Imagine S is a chunk of shared logic that is the reason you want to chain
in the first place.

Instead of:

    A1 --> A2 (contains S)

think about:

    A1 (do its own processing, then call S)
    A2 (calls S)

If you need the logical-physical mapping support for calling S without
knowing its class name, that can be created fairly easily as well.

Servlet chaining was the worst thing that ever happened to servlets (in
the pre-Servlet-2.0 days).  I'm glad it never got supported in the real
servlet API, and am not real anxious to see us implement it in Struts.

Craig