I've never used the checklogon tag in struts. But, checking logon state in a
jsp is not a very good idea unless you are checking for specific roles in
order to display info. But, it will work to some degree if you want to use
you jsp as a controller.

Extending the action would be more sufficient or write a Filter class that
does the job. Generally though it is not a good idea to wrap the security
into the app.

I am writing a security layer that sits between struts and the app and ties
them together without creating security dependencies within the app. I am
working hard to make it available. But, it is not an easy task. I've had to
make several changes. Once it is complete it should provide a more flexible
security layer for developers to work with without having app specific
security. In other words... you can use the standard programmatic checking.
Then as the standard container managed security matures my security can be
swapped out for the standard.

But, I do not address the security logout issues that you need. I allow for
a way to invalidate the session. Logging out is generally the responsibility
of the client.

Brandon Goodin
Phase Web and Multimedia
P (406) 862-2245