As long as there are no synchronization issues with your Action class
then it shouldn't be a bottleneck. I don't even know why an application
server would create more than one instance of a servlet. The doGet()
method on a servlet or the process() method on an Action class can be
called by as many concurrent threads as your application server wants to
use and it shouldn't be a problem.    There is no waiting or queueing
going on.

Every thread gets their own copy of the local variables in the method.
You can have instance variables in the Action class (like a Business
Delegate or session bean home interface) as long as they are created
once in the constructor and only contain "thread safe" methods with no
synchronization issues.

This is not to say that Struts doesn't have some overhead but so do
EJBs, databases, networks, etc. You use them because they make your code
more maintainable and increase productivity. Performance problems are
almost always going to come from bad code or database mis-use rather
than a framework like Struts.

Hal