Basically I agreed with your concerns and felt that we are
probably probing the same problem, but from very different
perspectives.

Suppose I am in ExceptionHandler.execute() method, I would
like to access non-default bundles from here. So I need to
get the action servlet instance and then its context. The
*real* problem is that I am not guaranteed to get the
action servlet instance from the API's formInstance, because
it might be null at runtime! Even there is a RequestUtils utility
method, it will not help me here.

In my own world, I have four classes BasicFormController
(extends Action), BasicFormValidator (understands my UI),
BasicExceptionHandler (extends ExceptionHandler), and
another one (related to UI) I think the four belong to ONE category:
They all handle certain business logic but with different area and
at different times.

Since we all understand the semantic of Action class, it is
recycled, shared by multiple threads. Why not my
BasicFormValidator, BasicExceptionHandler? If there is no
very very negative side effect, they should be so. Therefore,
I got a consistent and united view: They all have the
getServlet() and setServlet() methods, and my RequestProcessor
will assign the action servlet instance to them after creation.

The BasicFormValidator will accept a parameter 'Theme' from
UI which includes user specified bundle if any. But I feel hard
to take advantage of the Struts validator regarding to the bundle.

Suppose you could get the action servlet instance in the
ExceptionHandler base class, will that resolve most of your
concerns in 2)?

Jing