I've read several topics debating this. These discussiosn leave the issue ambiguous.
I've written couple of notes in "struts-user," but received no response. This makes me
think it's an architectural issue, perhaps best addressed in this forum.

What I want to be able to do is described in my topic:
http://japache.org/forums/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=121582

Having the ActionForm store a reference to a value object allows us to easily use the
Struts framework to update values, but still provides an intermediate set of values
(that can be in an invalid state). Our Action classes (or whatever logic we'd like)
controls when to try to apply this data to the model.

(Updating this value-object, or some model directly, is what Swing does. In fact, it's
the *point* of Swing's approach to models -- earlier GUI component designs had data
stored with each component. This data had to explicitly applited to some model. This
was problematic in terms of syncing data across viewing components, hence the Swing
approach.)

Does the architecture have a standard way of handling this, or not? (Again -- the key
question is how/where to initialize the ActionForm property referencing the value
object.)