There are a couple of different ways to actually do this, but you've got
the basic idea.  One common approach, for example, is to do the transfer
from the form bean directly to a DTO or value object that you're going
send to your persistence tier.  If the form bean has a String, and the
value object has an int, BeanUtils.copyProperties() will do the
conversion
for you.
<<

I've gotta admit, I definitely see value in this approach.  I never thought
of using a class's interface in this way, though I suppose it must be quite
natural if you're used to dealing with JavaBean-friendly tools.  BeanUtils
is quite a convenient and powerful tool to have at your disposal... though
would be nice to be able to cleanly extend it to turn any arbitrary String
(Object?) into any other type, by registering Strategies.
mybean.setArticle(Article article), anyone?

Not sure I buy into it yet, but it's a helluva lot more convincing than
simply passing around (Request, Response)...

Somebody *really* doesn't like the command pattern :-).
<<

You're absolutely right....  At least not when the "commands" in question
are this heterogenous, and this subject to change, with such a good chance
of breakage at runtime instead of compile time.  (That's not a dig at
Struts, just an observation about web applications in general.)

Thanks for giving me some good food for thought.  I'll get back to you as
this beanutil stuff sinks in.

-jmc