From: James Turner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 10:41 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: VOTE: Behavior of Validator

As currently written, the Validator has what I consider a quirk.

Suppose you have two fields, username and password.  Username has
"depends=required" and password has "depends=required.notgod" (where
notgod
is a test that makes sure that the user didn't choose god as a
password).  The following behavior occurs:

username=blank, password=blank: two errors generated on "required"
username=blank, password=god: one error generated on "required"
username=george, password=god: one error genereated on "notgod"

This is because the Validator won't look at notgod until *all* fields
pass
the "required" test.

I think this is a broken behavior.  It leads to web forms where the user

thinks that they've filled in all the fields correctly, but then get new

error messages they've never seen before.  I'd like to correct this
before
Validator freezes for a release, but I want to make sure no one really
really thinks that the current behavior is somehow the right one.  So
please vote:

+1 = Change Validator so that this doesn't occur
0 = I don't give a hoot
-1 = I really like the way it works now (please give a reason)

I'm sending this both to Commons and Struts because both communities are

impacted by the change.

James