Eddie Bush wrote:

> Cast your vote.
>
>    [  -1] I want Tiles to have an independent (non-shared)
> configuration for each module.  No future change is required IMHO.
>    [  -1 ] I want Tiles to have an independent (non-shared)
> configuration for each module.  I think we should revisit this
> decision after 1.1F.

  Here are some key benefits of Tiles:

    * Allows consistent look and feel across all your pages
    * Allows modification of this look and feel in one single central point
    * Avoids duplication of common files (common layout, headers,
      footers, menu, ...)

If there one independent configuration for each module, you loose all
these functionalities. This would be a regression.

>    [  0] I want tiles to have a (possibly) dependent (shared)
> configuration for each module in the 1.1F release.
>            - modules would chain lookup from the current module to the
> default module (or something else)
>            - could be turned on/off by a switch which defaults to off
>    [  1] I want tiles to have a different configuration (Elaborate).

  In fact, I have already think about how to make Tiles more
"modules/sub-apps" compliant. I haven't solved this question, because
there is some opposite views: modules are intended to clearly separate
works (the Ted's "chinese wall"), and Tiles are intended to avoid
duplications by allowing sharing of common jsp.
  Of course, we can conciliate both, but this require some thinking:

    *   A tiles configuration file requires some references to common
      URLs and to common definitions.
          o How to distinguish between an URL from the module namespace
            and an URL from another namespace (common, root or other
            module), without overloading too much the configuration file ?
          o The same for definitions
    * We can think of a module containing all commons files (tiles,
      layouts, definitions). How to reference these entities from other
      modules ?
    *  Each modules will certainly share a set of common tiles
      configurations. How to do that without replications ?

    So what we need now is to specify what could be the Tiles syntax and
how it will be used in the context of modules. After that it will be
possible to make tiles modules compliant.

   Cedric