Given that the JSTL is hosted through Jakarta-Taglibs, I wouldn't say that Strut is
any more-or-less
"mainstream" than Taglibs. After all, if people who are not using Struts need this
functionality, the mainstream
answer would be to use the request tag. We force dependencies on Jakarta-Commonst and
if one is available, it
sems appropriate that we look to Taglibs to fill any similar need for a generic
utility. If both Struts and
Taglibs had not started at the same time, our logic tags would be living there anyway.
When we had oor own
mulitipurpose present tag, adding the role functionality m ade sense. But creating a
new tag to simply replicate
functionality available through the request tag seems wasteful.

-Ted.

10/20/2002 11:56:20 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Karr) wrote:

>    Ted> There's a request tag in Jakarta taglibs that supports isUserInRole (among
>other things), so I would
suggest
>    Ted> that we go with three and refer people to taglibs for the missing
>functionality (still all in the
family :0)