I actually didn't think of creating a tag that can be wrapped around the bean:write tag, that's obviously the best solution for me. I'll check if there is something like that in Jakarta taglib. I believe someone here mentioned a 'replace' tag.

But, for me this is still an interesting question. The web application I'm working on is very big and has a lot of text input and output. All of our inputted text should preserve linebreaks. Text entered in regular text fields doesn't have linebreaks anyway, and text from textareas should have breaks. I see that it isn't too pretty code to always insert BR-tags in bean:write, but couldn't this at least be an option, like this:

bean:write name="myBean" property="myProp" preserveLineFeed="false",

where preserveLineFeed would be true by default? The tag would then use a method like the breakNewlines(String) method suggested below.

For my web application this would be far more elegant than wrapping another custom tag around every single bean:write that needs to preserve line breaks. As I said, the need to preserve linebreaks is very common in my experience, I rarely want to NOT preserve linebreaks... At least for me because most of the text that is outputted is text inputted by a user in a textfield or textarea.

The bean:write tag already has an attribute "filter" that escapes HTML-formatting, which in my opinion covers the same kind of thing, how the output looks when rendered in html, why is it not elegant to do the same thing for linebreaks?