When I view the file "src/share/org/apache/struts/util/AppException.java" in
Cygwin/XEmacs (binmode), it shows up as a SINGLE line (the entire file), with
linefeeds ("\r" in "od") instead of newlines.  I see just about the same in
"vi".  I noticed David G. made some formatting changes in this file a couple of
weeks ago.  Apparently every other line was a blank line, for some reason?
The blank lines appeared when Rob Leland made some minor changes about 7 weeks
ago.  In my copy, if I just replace the "^M"s (what shows in XEmacs) with a
newline, the file looks fine, and the "od" output shows normal newlines (just
like other files).

I also notice that in "src/share/org/apache/struts/validator",
"ValidatorForm.java" and "DynaValidatorForm.java" are in the same state.

These are noticeable because the build reports javadoc warnings on these files
(and some others which I'm still trying to figure out).

Looking at these errors also points out the "-breakiterator" option to javadoc,
which is new to me.  Apparently this causes it to use a more intelligent
algorithm for determining the end of a sentence (although it's apparently the
default in JDK 1.4).  Apparently there are several examples of "i.e." in Struts
javadoc that causes a truncated string in the generated javadoc.
Unfortunately, I don't see any way to provide this option to the "javadoc" task
in Ant, so I can at least (easily) see what it does.