On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, David Graham wrote:

> Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:17:13 -0700
> From: David Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Enhancement Request - add label and labelKey to form elements
>
> Oops, I forgot they actually did use "sql" (I've never used that taglib).

Me neither, for obvious reasons :-).

> Are JSPs XML docs?  I know you can write them in an xml format but most
> people don't.  It seems like they could have used the xml prefix.

There are two different "yes" answers to your question:

* You can write a JSP page in the standard syntax that
  outputs XML instead of HTML.  Therefore, your page must
  obey XML document syntax rules.

* There is a pure-XML syntax for your JSP pages as well, which
  is more oriented towards tools than people -- but, of course,
  you must again obey XML syntax rules if you do this.

Because either of these are possible (and quite common when talking to
wireless devices, for example), and because the syntax of custom tags in
general was designed to be XML-compatible, we could not use "xml"  as the
recommended namespace for the XML tag library in JSTL.