David Graham wrote:
Member variables should be at the top if for no other reason
> than that's where people expect them to be.

It's one of those acquired tastes. Like I said it's not on my list of must haves, and that's ok! When I first saw variables at the bottom
of a class I cursed, and couldn't believe why such a stupid thing could be done. I believe the mm-MySQL driver does that.
Then a few months later when I was working on another project
trying to compare a class and its interface I suddenly realized
the wisdom of placing them at the bottom. I know how much I hated them
at the bottom when I first saw them, and I feel there is nothing I could
say to persuade you or other committers it should be in the standard, and that is ok also.

We'll code with variables at the top of classes !

There are other larger fish to fry.
-Rob