--////--

> Sigh.  I can see this now.  For reference, section 10.1 (Simple Tag
> Handlers) of the JSP specification, in the section "Properties", has
> this statement:
>
> "Once properly set, all properties are expected to be persistent, so
> that if the JSP container ascertains that a property has already been
> set on a given tag handler instance, it needs not set it again. User
> code can access property information and access and modify tag handler
> internal state starting with the first action method (doStartTag) up
> until the last action method (doEndTag or doFinally for tag handlers
> implementing TryCatchFinally)."
>
> If we want to release Struts-EL with 1.1, I guess we'll have to advise
> users to turn off tag pooling in their containers.  Will that work?
>
> If I now clearly understand how this works (we'll see), I think I know
> how to fix this, but it will take considerable manual labor.
> In short,
> I'll have to change the source code for every EL tag class,
> and every EL
> tag BeanInfo class, adding "shadow" attributes and getters/setters for
> every tag attribute.  Although this will be a lot of typing, it's very
> straightforward.

--////--

No. I dont think so. You just have to make sure that the
attributes are treated as read-only values, if you need
to modify an attribute use the "auto" scope.

A case in point is accessor/mutator methods for nested
collaborating tags. You can happily ignore the above
advice for any tag property that shared between tag
classes, as long as you do expose the property as tag
attribute in the TLD.

--
Peter Pilgrim,
Struts/J2EE Consultant, RBoS FM, Risk IT

      Visit our Internet site at http://www.rbsmarkets.com

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc is registered in Scotland No 90312
Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB
Regulated by the Financial Services Authority