On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

<big-snip/>

> Recommendation:
> --------------
>
> If we were not imminently trying to release a 1.1 final, I would be
> tempted to design and work out a strategy for dealing with this ambiguity
> problem, and hash out what the right behavior should be in each case.
> However, at this point in time, I'm going to suggest that we resolve this
> one as LATER and put it into the "1.2 Family" camp.  We're going to need
> to deal with it in a 1.2 time frame anyway, especially if we try to
> implement any sort of "module configuration inheritance" mechanisms, which
> are only going to make the problem worse.
>
> In a 2.0 time frame, the lesson I draw from this is that we will want to
> be very specific in defining how mapping of logical paths to physical
> paths is performed, including a way to distinguish what kind of logical
> path you're talking about (so that you can apply different rules for view
> components and for action components, for example).
>
> Does this sound like a plan that we (committers) can agree to?

+1

I'm not particularly concerned about case (b), and don't believe we should
go out of our way to provide a nice solution for it. I realise that some
people will want to continue to use action chaining, so we will need to
allow for it in some shape or form. However, I have a scheme that allows
me to achieve the same effect without chaining actions, and I'm hoping to
be able to contribute that at some point.

--
Martin Cooper