Not exactly, 'running' the tests is the only thing that will take longer.
Building will actually be quicker with approach #2, because there's less
code to compile.

Also, since I'm writing these from scratch (not changing anything that
exists), either technique will increase test time.

Don't the tests run when you build the distribution?

> 2. The jsp test is now dependent on other Struts tags' behavior. What if
> one those tags is broken? The goal of testing is to isolate the most
basic
> usage which your first example does.

I thought that was the purpose of tests. If doing it this way, we can
identify bugs that might not have been caught before, that should be a good
thing.
Ideally, tests shouldn't rely on other components that could be broken because then you don't know why the test failed.

Dave