From: Jeff Robertson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, 25 March 2003 21:41
To: 'Struts Developers List'
Subject: RE: [proposal]Adding queryString property to ForwardConfig

[...snip...]
> In conclusion, you can take advantage of global forwards and
> forwards in
> actions with redirected parameters like
>
>               ActionForward homeForward =
> mapping.findForward("welcome");
>               homeForward.setQueryString("pid=" + pageSrno);
>
> Instead of
>               ActionForward homeForward = new
> ActionForward("/portal/index.jsp?pid=" + pageSrno, true);
>
> If you like to get this proposal as a form of patches, I'm
> willing to make
> and submit them to bugzilla.

Have you considered a parameter/properties style interface to this?

                ActionForward homeForward = mapping.findForward("welcome");
                homeForward.setParameter("pid", pageSrno);

Nobody really likes messing around with query strings.

Btw, passing a parameter to a JSP like this almost always implies that the
JSP contains more code that it ought to in an "MVC" application. You also
said you were concerned about losing your beans when you do a redirect; but
you really have no business redirecting to a JSP anyhow. If you can redirect
to a JSP and have it work, that further implies too much logic in that JSP.

With all of that out of the way, I could see your idea being useful for
forwarding/redirecting from one Action to another.