> > And IDEA may be the best developer's UI ever invented.
>
> Ted, would you mind comparing IDEA to Eclipse a little
> bit, if you have time? Not a full blown feature-by-feature
> review, just highlights.

I've used the latest Eclipse, and it's ok, but it's not IDEA.

Eclipse has many of the features IDEA has, but not all, and they're not quite
as well integrated. They have live templates, but IDEA's are easier to invoke
etc etc. Eclipse have taken on some of the features to the degree that they
seem to have even ripped off some of the icons (eg. the little light globe for
code hints).

Take custom keymaps. Eclipse can finally do custom key maps, but only for
_some_ functions. IDEA can keymap _any_ function. The entire keymap for the
whole IDE is changeable. You can even set keymaps to run your own ANT targets.
I _really_ dig this. For repetitive tasks, I have an ANT build file full of
messy things I've keymapped to make life easier.

All the little stuff, it's toe-to-toe. But the big ones like the local in
built version control and the diff tool are not there, and they're awesome
tools. The diff tool, is great, shows up things in a flash. Local version
control, didn't know you needed it until you have it. IDEA keeps a version
history of _all_ your changes to files regardless of any other versioning
system for the team. Basically, it rocks. Set labels and things, roll back to
last known good versions... it's now indispensible.

One of the killer features about the local VCS, is that IDEA unlike any other
editor I've ever seen, can undo global search and replaces in your project for
the entire undo histroy. too cool for words.

You'll find that people using IDEA will swear by it. I dig it so much they got
my money from my own wallet, in spite of other editors being free and my
stingy tendencies.  :P

There's a demo available, best way to find out is to suck it and see.

Arron.

> I've historically always been restricted to whatever
> my employer gives me (which has usually been JBuilder),
> so I have little experience in different UIs. Things
> are about to change though :)
>
>                               -TPP

> This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, retention, distribution or
recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the
sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.  Also, email is
susceptible to data corruption, interception, tampering, unauthorized
amendment and viruses. We only send and receive emails on the basis that we
are not liable for any such corruption, interception, tampering, amendment or
viruses or any consequence thereof.