I did investigate registering "custom" converters.
Unfortunately, anything that would support
non-hard-coded conversion patterns will require either
a mixed paradygm usage (i.e passing a complex object
that contains the value to convert and all convertion
configuration instead of simply the value to be
converted) of the existing Converter.convert interface
or additional parameters.  Since I think everyone can
agree that the first option is confusing and should be
avoided when possible the remaining option is to
modify/extend the interface.  I agree this should be
communicated within the BeanUtils developer mailing
list and will cross post this in hopes of getting
further creative approaches to the problem.  Because
Struts will be responsible for providing the means to
invoke the conversion (and much more) I do feel it is
appropriate for this list to continue to discuss the
Struts/BeanUtil interaction necessary for this
functionality.