Here are some tips I have gathered from using WinCVS and Cygwin's ssh client
over the years:

1) Use one of the latest beta releases of WinCVS. I'm using 1.3b13 now. The
1.3 betas have better support for connecting with ssh. I have authentication
set to "ssh" on the Preferences dialog and none of the boxes checked on the
associated "Settings..." dialog. The 1.3 betas are as stable as 1.2 in my
experience, so don't fear the beta.

2) Set your CVS_RSH environment variable to the path to Cygwin's ssh
program. Mine is set to "c:\cygwin\bin\ssh.exe".

3) Do not install Cygwin's cvs package. Instead, put the WinCVS directory in
your path. It used to be something like "C:\Program Files\GNU\WinCvs 1.3",
but the recent WinCVS betas have moved the cvs.exe program to a
subdirectory, so now I have "C:\Program Files\GNU\WinCvs 1.3\CVSNT" in my
PATH instead.

4) I don't like the default location for my "home" directory, so I have a
HOME environment variable set to what I want it to be, "c:\home\mcooper" in
my case. SSH uses HOME to find your SSH keys, so this allows you to control
where it looks for them. I have them in my c:\home\mcooper\.ssh directory.

5) If you wish to use CVS from the Cygwin command line, you might need to
set a variable in your .bash_profile (also in your HOME directory). The
problem is that Cygwin may convert the value of the CVS_RSH environment
variable to a Cygwin-style path, and the cvs.exe program from WinCVS won't
be able to run ssh with the Cygwin style path. The solution is to explicitly
set CVS_RSH back to a Windows-style path in .bash_profile (or .bashrc). I
have "export CVS_RSH=c:\\cygwin\\bin\\ssh.exe" in mine for this purpose
(note the double \'s).

6) Using "ssh -v" from the command line to make a connection can be a useful
way to debug connection problems. With the verbose option (-v), ssh will
print out a bunch of messages about connection progress.

Hope that helps,
-Max