> I wouldn't call this a bug (a very annoying feature, at
> least for me), but from reading the javadoc for the
> DispatchAction.unspecified() method, it looks like the
> method was added in later to allow application developers
> to create their own default behavior when the dispatch
> parameter isn't specified. I think the same behavior
> should be present in LookupDispatchAction as well.

        if (name == null) {
            String message =
                messages.getMessage("dispatch.parameter", mapping.getPath(),
parameter);
            throw new ServletException(message);
        }

should be:

        if (name == null) {
                return dispatchMethod(mapping, form, request, response,
name);
        }

Also found an open bug on this at Bugzilla.

Bug #21226 is also related. You wouldn't need the
new error message defined in this bug, if bug #18002
was fixed to do what (or something similar) I propose
above.

                                -TPP

                                -TPP

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s). Any review, use, retention, distribution or disclosure by
others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to
receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all
copies of this message.  Also, email is susceptible to data corruption, interception,
tampering, unauthorized amendment and viruses. We only send and receive emails on the
basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, tampering,
amendment or viruses or any consequence thereof.