Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this were done, then the <item> element
would be pretty similar in look and behaviour to the <bean> element.

Perhaps the MenuItem interface / SimpleMenuItem class could be
implemented in the definitions.xml using the <bean> element and the
<item> element deprecated??

Ben