On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Erik Hatcher wrote:
<snip />
> While exploring web frameworks, I spent a bit of time with WebWork2.  I
> really like what I see going on there.  Its lightweight,
> straightforward, and powerful.  The interceptors add tons of
> flexibility.  The IoC aspect of it decouples actions from the container
> and even concrete business implementations (making testing a WW2 action
> a real joy).  The command-pattern is clean.  The discussions of Struts2
> seem to be aiming towards the same thing WebWork2 already is.  I'd
> highly recommend those that are hard-core Struts developers give
> WebWork2 a good look and either jump ship or start seriously
> incorporating these ideas into the Struts2 architecture.  Using
> interfaces is one immediate take-away from WW2 :)

I totally agree.  Lars Hoss has donated code to Struts Applications
(http://struts.sf.net) which implements Action interceptors and WW2-style
IoC.  We are currently in the process of cleaning the code up for a
release.  We are also looking at extracting the Action invoking
code to support arbitrary actions as well as Struts Action-derived classes
as XWork does.  We hope the project will be a furtile testbed for future
Struts architecture features, as well as support existing Struts
applications (Struts 1.1+).

Good luck on your next project, Erik, and thanks for the suggestions.

Don