Exactly some of the problems I have been having with the tags as they
currently exist.

Edgar

-----Original Message-----
From: Paananen, Tero [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 5:42 PM
To: 'Struts Developers List'
Subject: RE: Tags more extensible (was: Suggestions for Calendar Popup
tag lib?)

Well, this is the thing...how would I know in advance? :)
Seriously. I have no idea what kind of requirements are
coming up next month.

An example of something we've done in the past is extending
Struts HTML tags to incorporate access control features
(read-only, write, mask sensitive info, etc.) While I wasn't
involved with that effort, I'm looking at the source code,
and it's done with copy-and-pasteing the old code and sprinkling
in the access control checks and changes to rendering the
value property. 90% of the code remains unchanged, but
we had to copy-and-paste the entire thing.

There is no other way to plug-in the access control
enhancements in the tags without doing that. And we didn't
feel like littering JSP code with logic tags.