I finally did it (thanks to Chris Gastin for putting me o/t track). But instead of extending the TextTag, i extended the BaseFieldTag. In the constructor, I wrote:

public StrutsDateChooserTag() {
        super();
        type = "text";
    }

Further, I did only override

  public int doStartTag() throws JspException {
        int tempValue = super.doStartTag();
       StringBuffer href = "" StringBuffer("some stuff");
        ResponseUtils.write(pageContext, sb.toString());
        return tempValue;
    }

This all works fine for me!

Regards,
David

Paananen, Tero wrote:
Can somebody tell me which is the best way to do this?

Oh boy :)

There was a long discussion not so long ago about
the problems with extending the tags (not limited
to the Struts tags, btw) on this list.

You're stuck with copy-and-pasteing TextTag.doStartTag()
into your new tag, then sprinkling your modifications
in there.

				-TPP

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, retention, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.  Also, email is susceptible to data corruption, interception, tampering, unauthorized amendment and viruses. We only send and receive emails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, tampering, amendment or viruses or any consequence thereof.

David Cypers

David Cypers
Certified J2EE Consultant

JCS International
part of the Solvus Resource Group
Autobaan 22 Tel +32-(0)50-32 01 21
8210 Loppem - Belgium Fax +32-(0)50-32 01 04 Visit us at http://www.jcs.be/
eMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED] Mobile

Disclaimer : This electronic transmission and any attached document is intended exclusively for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any and all computers. JCS International does not warrant a proper and complete transmission of this information, nor does it accept liability for any delays.