Sorry, I don't know of any benchmarks for this.

> If there's no real overhead, especially for properties
> provided without
> expression, to just use them in the tags as-is. Or at least
> the nested tags
> where the internals aren't as deep as the rest.

I'm sure there would be some overhead, but I would imagine that a simple
string search for "${" would determine whether any evaluation needs to
be done.  That couldn't be that expensive.

The principal reason why I've implemented the EL libraries as wrappers
over the regular libraries, as opposed to making the EL evaluation calls
in the regular library (like you seem to be suggesting we do for
"nested-el"), is that when JSP 2.0 is available, users can just change
their taglib directive to point back to the regular library (I now
recommend that people use the original prefix, not the "-el" prefix),
and the EL library can just be ignored.  If we integrated the EL calls
into the regular library, you'd have to go in and remove those calls and
generate new release of the regular library, because you'd want the JSP
container to handle that work.