From: Craig R. McClanahan
To: Struts Developers List
Sent: 11/13/2003 10:56 PM
Subject: Re: cvs commit: veto

Quoting Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> -1
>
> The community can make up its own mind on issues regarding an
> individual's behavior.

Like any commit to change software, other committers can -1 them for
valid
reasons.

> I formally ask that any product changes made for the sole purpose of
> censoring an individual be reversed, with the exception of consultants

> and powered, which pages can be removed completely as they are
obsolete.

My view of Vic's technical judgement and capabilities is probably pretty
clear
from prior message threads.  His behavior in other forums recently, and
this
time in particular (presuming that an allegation is true without a
determination of the actual facts, and then presenting it as reality
instead of
perception) is ethically repugnant to me, and calls his professional
judgement
into question.  This is so to the degree that I cannot in good
conscience
participate in a project willing to publish links to companies whose
principals
behave in such a manner.

To address Ted's (legitimate) concern, I would prefer that we adopt a
more
stringent (but one that can be administered based on reasonably
objective
criteria) policy on Struts website content -- no advertisements of *any*
commercial resources related to Struts.  Google does a far better job
than we
could ever do in making such resources available, and this would avoid
the need
for any judgement calls or unfair advantage to some commercial entities
over
others.  Announcements about nonprofit activities (user group meetings),
freely
available presentations/demos/slides about Struts, or other open source
software that works with Struts, would still be reasonable candidates
for
inclusion.

Note that I'm suggesting this approach just for the website (and
therefore the
snapshots that get included in the product by virtue of the way we
create
struts-documentation.war).  The current policy towards postings on the
mailing
lists can remain the same -- the distinction is that it is clear who is
speaking
(presuming it's not an email virus forging the from address :-), and
there is
no opportunity for mistakenly assuming endorsement.

Implementing this policy would require a few more excisions to the
Struts web
site (and save Ted some work in the long run, since he does most of the
"routine update" work), but not horrendously large amounts.  The most
visible
change would probably be the list of books on the front page and the
associated
books.html page, since they are all commercial activities.

I agree with Ted on the "consultants" and "powered" pages.

Ted, would this deal with the criteria of your -1?