Ok, I wasn't sure as I didn't want to distract from the onging 1.2.x
release work. :)  I'll throw out some ideas here, then develop them later
in the wiki:

- Make Inversion of Control central.  By using an IoC framework to wire
Struts together, it makes it really easy to extend or improve Struts not
only for future development but for users as well.  I'd recommend Spring's
IoC impl as it is small (>100k), really easy to use, and easily
extendable.  If we wanted to remain more "agnostic", there are "meta" IoC
frameworks that let you plug in Pico/Spring/Avalon, etc.

- Use XML Schema over DTD's.  Give struts config its own default namespace
to make it easier for users to mix in elements of other namespaces.  An
example would be adding custom documentation attributes and elements.  Of
course the usual arguments for XML Schema over DTD's apply as well.

- Replace paths with URL's, allowing for a default protocol.  An action
path would look like "action://foo" or a tiles forward would be
"tiles://tilesdef"  This would make it easy to plug in handlers to support
different presentation engines.  If no protocol is specified, the path is
handled as usual.

- As Ted said, contine with the wildcard theme.  Struts should do
everything possible to cut down configuration.

- Also, again totally agreeing with Ted, make everything interface based,
have default implementations, and free apps of HTTP.  Ideally, I'd like to
see extra effort going into making it easy if not effortless to take a
Struts 2.0 app and use the code in a portlet or web service environment.
At least in my area, clients are wanting human and machine interfaces,
with the human interface generally being behind a portal.

Anyways, those are my "brainstorming" thoughts.  If any look interesting,
I'll write something up in the wiki.

Don