I'm a maven novice, so I thought I'd share my experience building with maven:

I already submitted a patch for the obvious URL errors in the project.xml (I hope I did it correctly, as it's only my second patch submission).

When I invoke maven, it complains about not finding commons-validator version 1.1.1-dev, so I tried modifying that to use the last version instead (1.0.2). It's a good thing I remembered someone mentioning commons-validator and the maven build. Looking through my messages I found this:

I've updated project.xml to reference the validator 1.1.1 jar. You need
to manually download it from http://www.apache.org/~rleland/ and place
it in your local repository.

If this is going to persist, maybe it might be worth a common in the project.xml? If I wasn't paying attention to the list, I wouldn't necessarily know where to get the updated version. :)

I got a lot of deprecation errors, but otherwise, both the default jar:jar and dist goals finished! So with minor caveats, even a maven novice can build struts. That's great considering.

Paul Sundling

Tim Chen wrote:

Sorry.. The default target is currently set up as jar:jar
That will do everything that you need it to.
So all you have to do is:

//step-by-step-build-struts-with-maven.readme
1) Download maven 1.0 rc1 from http://maven.apache.org
2) Add a maven_home env variable that points to where you installed
maven to
3) Add ${maven_home}/bin or %MAVEN_HOME%\bin to your path
4) Optional: set
MAVEN_OPTS=-Djavax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory=org.apache.xalan.pro
cessor.TransformerFactoryImpl
        This is not really necessary as I set the path for the xalan
TransformerFactory in the maven scripts but could save you the hassle
with other projects that might require xalan.
5) checkout jakarta-struts.
NOTE: At this point you do not need to have anything in your classpath.
6) cd to jakarta-struts root
7) invoke either:
        - > maven
        by default runs jar:jar which will simply jar up
struts-1.2.0.jar into your maven build directory (currently set to
${jakarta-struts_home}/m-target)
        - > maven dist
        this task will create not just the jar but also create a
${jakarta-struts_home}/m-target/distributions
Directory that has zip and tar.gz versions of the bin and src
distributions

I have been really busy the last few weeks and haven't had a chance to
help Joe or to complete the distributions. So it will not include all
the items from the current ant build but at least you don't have to
manually set anything in jakarta-struts anymore :)

Tim Chen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]