From: "Ted Husted" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Struts Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: 1.2.x and beyond (was Tagging and Freezing)

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:27:35 -0800, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
> * Create a CVS branch for this release, which starts as a snapshot
>  of the development tree when the release candidate is initially
> created, and allows the RM to incorporate whatever subsequent HEAD
>  branch commits make sense (by either doing a CVS join or manually
>  interpoLating the fixes).

I'd be in favor of creating a branch for 1.2.x, so that we could finishing
"mavenising" the HEAD, and be able to fixes to 1.2.x in the meantime.

I believe that, as a result of the Maven initiative, we will also have
multiple products/artifacts to distribute (struts-core, struts-opt-taglib,
et cetera). If so, we could start each of these out at version 1.3.0, and
then proceed from there with more aggressive enhancements (like
Struts-Chain).

So, the 1.2.x series (out there) is mainly about removing deprecations and
refactoring existing features (like modules).

Release 1.3.0 could be about repackaging the build for Maven and also doing
the release subdividing that we've been talking about for some time now.

Releases 1.3.1+ could then get back to the business of "creating" Struts
[rather than just "maintaining" it] :)