+1 for TLP
+1 Craig VP

-James

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Cooper [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2004 2:20 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [VOTE] Struts as an Apache Top Level Project

Following up on a brief thread on this list in December [1], Craig, Ted
and I have put together a draft resolution to the board of directors [2],
along with a cover letter [3], that would promote Struts to an Apache
top-level project (TLP).

The main reasons for moving to a TLP are described on the wiki [4]. In
Craig's words, "The short answer, though, is we will be in charge of our
own releases (currently, the Jakarta PMC is the only body legally
recognized to vote on releases of *any* software under Jakarta)." In
practice, we can really just continue doing what we've always done.

As most of you are no doubt aware, several Jakarta sub-projects have
already made the transition to TLPs, including Ant, Avalon, Gump, James,
Log4J, Maven, OJB, and Torque. Most Jakarta PMC members seem to be in
favour of the migrations, largely because a single PMC cannot possibly
oversee a code base the size of all of Jakarta.

If you're OK with Struts being a top-level Apache project, please respond
to this thread with either a +1 or +0. Otherwise, please reply with your
concerns. When we previously discussed this, it did not seem like anyone
was opposed to the idea, but if anyone is, now is the time to speak up.

The resolution as drafted lists the Struts Committers who could
reasonably be considered active at this time. Of course, we should not
put anyone on the PMC without their buy-in, so the final resolution would
only list the Committers who responded to the Vote with a +1 or +0.

The draft resolution also leaves the name of the Vice President blank.
Craig seems like the logical candidate, and is willing to act in this
capacity, but we wanted the VP selection to be a community decision. So,
please also respond with your nomination for Vice President, Apache
Struts.

Here's my +1 on the resolution as drafted, and my +1 for Craig as Vice
President.

--
Martin Cooper

[1]
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/SearchList?listId=&[EMAIL PROTECTED]
karta.apache.org&searchText=%22Why+you+*want*+to+be+on+the+PMC%22&defaultFie
ld=subject&Search=Search
[2] http://www.apache.org/~martinc/struts/tlp/resolution.html
[3] http://www.apache.org/~martinc/struts/tlp/cover.html
[4] http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JakartaPMCPropsedChanges