I think the your problem might be relative paths.  If you are using the base tag

If your css file is included in your page using a relative path, your css file must be
in the /jsp directory.

<LINK rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" type="text/css">

In WSAD, you can locate your jsp's in folder under the "WebContent" and assign other
url mappings in your web deployment descriptor, like "/Test1.jsp" where they acually
live in "WebContent/jsp/".  In WSAD, this mapping will effect the value of the
We are using tiles and ended up just placing our layouts in the base "WebContent"
folder so that we have the option of using tomcat if we don't want to wait 5 minutes
for WAS to load :-)

The virtual host mapping in WAS has to do with the domain name as it relates to the
webserver plugin.  You can use the virutal host name to channel a request to a
specific WAS server or cluster of WAS servers.  For example, you might not have an
internal verses external network but you have applications you want to make avaliable
internally only.  You could create a domain name like www.acme.internal, register it
with your internal DNS.  Then install your application to this virtual host mapping
www.acme.internal:80.  The default virtual host mapping is *:80.

I think your error is related to how WSAD handles url mapping to jsp resources as it
relates to the <html:base /> tag.

Gary