At 6:08 AM -0800 3/24/04, David Graham wrote:
--- Joe Germuska <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>

 Hope that helps.  If we stick to our guns about avoiding dependencies
 on unreleased software, this won't come up again... it's not Maven's
 fault!

Commons Validator is a special case because it's mostly used with Struts. The standalone user population is significantly smaller than the Struts Validator users. We decided that to get true testing of new Commons Validator versions we needed to distribute it with Struts builds.

Fair enough... but there's still a snag between the apparently high demand for an easy-to-build Struts (based on the traffic in this thread) and using dependencies that aren't served from iBiblio.

Basically, the alternatives are to get all dependency versions on some repository server somewhere, or to try to better document the workarounds when they are necessary. For a while, I had a comment block in project.xml explaining how to work around an unreleased validator dependency, but I took it out when the dependency version was one served from iBiblio.

In January, there was a thread on commons-dev about syncing Apache builds with iBiblio. It suggested that there might be a secondary repository on cvs.apache.org for nightly builds, but it doesn't appear that it has been set up. Don't know if it's stalled, or if it was vetoed.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.commons.devel/39462

It's conceptually easy to add alternative repositories in addition to ibiblio -- in fact, our project.properties file has a commented-out line from last time we were in this situation, but the repository indicated is 404.

I think the solution suggested by Mark Diggory in the commons-dev thread (a backup repo for nightly builds) is a pretty good idea; maybe we just have to push someone to get it actually set up?

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining."
-- Jef Raskin