Are you sure you're using 1.3? There's no such thing as far as I know, only
1.1.x and 1.2betaX. Are you maybe using 1.1.3? If that's the case, then I
think you should switch to 1.1.5 (the current version in the 1.1 branch, or
the 1.2beta3). Somewhere around 1.1.4 and 1.2beta 2 they made changes to the
codebase that takes account of an ambiguity in the JSP tag standard that
struts relies on, and caused older versions of Resin to choke with Struts.
W/regards to automatic .war file expansion, it definitely works great with
1.2beta, but I don't know if the feature is there in the 1.1 branch.