I'll be using ELB's for my application when I start building it
in a few weeks time (still in the design stage). I expect to
be using only EJBs from a action servlet, that are session
beans, and those session beans use entity beans. From previous
work I found there was too much overhead using the entity beans
directly in the generation of a html page, and you rarely
needed that direct conncetion to the database anyway.

As for the references, I'm not sure what you mean. I'll be putting
things like the JNDI and connection information into to web.xml
as startup parameters.