"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
> Moral of the story -- Struts depends on itself being loaded with the webapp
> class loader.  Stick "struts.jar" in your WEB-INF/lib directory and stop
> worrying about class loading ... :-)

Well, right, except that the development/deployment cycle is a lot
easier if you don't have to start up tomcat as a special case (i.e.
without struts.jar on the classpath).  It's not a big deal; it just
means that anytime I want to use struts I should make sure that (a) the
environmental classpath doesn't include it, (b) every single element of
the classpath that I need for developmental purposes should be present
in my Ant build.xml file and (c) I should always start tomcat without
CLASSPATH being set.

I still think there's a portable way to make setContextClassLoader work,
but now that's more of a challenge for me than a problem to be worked
around.  :-)

Cheers,
Laird

--
W: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / P: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.amherst.edu/~ljnelson/