Hi

I've read through the mailing list, and I see that there are several
different threads that seams to be related to the issue of how to
initialize a form with values. I'm sorry, but I don't find answers to
my problems in these threads.

My problem :
I have a .jsp page with about 10 <form:text>. The form is used to view
attributes for a document. Now I'm working on implementing "view document
attributes", which should bring up a form with the attributes for a document.

Here is what I though would work :
An Action viewdocument.do which takes as a request parameter the id of
the document to view the attributes for. This Action successfully retrieves
the attributevalues for the document. Then I store a Document object in
the request (I've also tried storing it in the session), and then forward
to the .jsp page with <form:text> and a corresponding ViewForm ActionForm.

In the ActionForm I have the reset method(), and in this method I get
the Document object stored in the request, and populate the form properties with the
correct values. So when the Struts framework calls
the get methods, the values I've retrieved in the viewdocument Action should show up.

Why I think the solution doesn't work :
In the struts-config.xml file I've added the viewdocument action to the
action-mappings, and also associated the ViewForm class.
But then the reset method is called before the perform of the Action..

I've also tried without associating the Action with the ViewForm, but then
the reset method is never called..

My question :
Since I seem to have run out of good ideas this week (We've made some good progress on
an application using Struts this week), I need some help.

How can I initialize a form with values retrieved in an Action ?

You might ask why I want to use a Form to view document attributes. The point is that
I also have to make a edit.jsp, which obviously needs to be a form, and I want to use
the same mechanism for both.

My environment :
Tomcat 3.2.1, Struts 1.0 (build 05122000)

Have a nice weekend !

Regards
Alf Hogemark