Hi Matthias,

> a) It's invalid (HTML)
> I've nether found it worth in-the-long-term to implement something against
> a clearly written spec just as workaround for other problems. It doesn't
pay.
> Of course, this is not a real argument but just my personal opinion.

agreed, theory is great, but it doesn't have to work in the "real" world

> b) struts-form is not for XHTML
> The tags are used to (and intended to) generate HTML, not XHTML or XML.
> The reason to add the forbidden closing tag was - if I remember
correctly -
> to be able to use the generated document as input for XSLT. While I would
> too like the ability to use Struts to generate output in different markup
> languages (like XHTML1.0, WML or ....), it seems obvious, that each
> markup language has it's own feature set and the approach to use a single
> tag library for each and any markup language is doomed to fail.
> A better approach IMHO would be to have different (form-)taglibs (one for
> each markup language) and to switch between them with the
taglib-directive.

> c) (just) changing input would be "patchwork"
> This is not the only occurrence where HTML differs from XHTML in a way
that
> prevents XSLT. What's about minimized boolean attributes (like selected,
> checked, disabled and so on...). Struts generates them in their minimized
> form, also being invalid XHTML. So, if it has to be done and I'm the only
> one seeing problems with this kind of changes, it should be done _right_,
> i.e. all occurrence should be properly changed and it should be
documented,
> that the form taglib is intended to generated XHTML (or HTML _and_ XHTML).
>
> Comments ?
> --
> Matthias                        (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])

Hmm, ok didn't thought about the "minimized" boolean attributes, and yeah,
it is a messy solution to just add a "/",
maybe an kind of global setting (read a form attribute eg
"output-type=html:xhtml|xml") could do the trick.
otherwise the "different taglib for the different markup languages " method
sould be used.

Bram