The database servlet in the Example application has the advantage of being able to run "out of the box", without going to the trouble of installing a real JDBC DBMS, like PostGresSQL, MySQL, et al.

For several reasons, the Example database servlet would not scale in a multiuser environment, and so, yes, in a production application, you would use a JDBC DBMS, for all the usual reasons.

I'm working on the some sample JDBC utilities now. Yesterday's example is at < http://husted.com/about/struts >. Tomorrow's version should include examples of filling form fields with database results, and maybe a JSP for sending an arbitrary query, and getting back a dynamic HTML table.