Title: RE: Logging capability in Struts

This is interesting. You may also be interested in AspectJ (www.aspectj.org). For more context on "aspects" (which sound similar to what Michael is calling "services"), please visit http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/jan01/TR10_kiczales.html.

-Craig Randall

-----Original Message-----
From: Schachter, Michael [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2001 5:22 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED] '
Subject: RE: Logging capability in Struts

For things such as logging, it would be a good idea to implement them as an
application level service.  Application level services are a concept of
Larry McCay ([EMAIL PROTECTED]). Basically "Services" is interface based
programming for common horizontal services such as logging, object pooling,
etc.  For logging there could be a homegrown implementation at first, then
when logging is standardized we could switch the implementation underneath
to use the new mechanism.  Also, you could create a Log4j implementation
that uses IBM's logging package if you felt like it. We're holding off on a
full blown introduction until 1.0 is out, so please bear with us.