I believe iWS 4.1 has the ability to map so maybe the same technique is
possible in the app server - I have not done this myself, so it may be
totally wrong, but check out the section, "Using Regular Expressions in
rules.properties", Appendix C,  in the iWS Programmer's Guide to Servlets:

http://docs.iplanet.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/41/servlets/contents.htm
Obviously this is indirect help since you'll have to see if something
similar exists for the App Server.

Steve