I found the problem which was causing this.  I was making a call to
servlet.log in the getter method for that tag (and only that tag). I just
wanted to verify when the getters were called in the overall sequence.  I
also discovered that putting a call to servlet.log in the getter methods for
other tags, also causes this error.  Wierd.
Vic