I currently use Log4j with NDC enabled combined with struts.

Here is how I use it:

- Run PropertyConfigurator from a startup servlet
- import org.apache.log4j.Category in your code
- set reference to log4j in your code

public class loginAction extends Action {
    static Category cat = Category.getInstance(loginAction.class.getName());
.
.

and in the body just call it:
            if ( cat.isDebugEnabled() )
                cat.debug("Attempting login with session: " + sessionid);

I hope that helps.  I wish all products were as easy as log4j to integrate.

-Mark